For the third year running the Australia Day Council of South Australia has given a platform to First Nations people wanting to ensure their voice is heard during the proceedings of January 26.
ADCSA Chief Executive Officer Jan Chorley says this year’s Australia Day theme is encouraging South Australians to “Reflect, Respect and Celebrate. The Story of Us.”
The day will kick off from 8am Set against the picturesque backdrop of Botanic Park/Tainmuntilla with a Smoking Ceremony that will be presented by 2020 Australian of the Year Award nominee, Zibeon Fielding, and performed by world renowned Senior Elder, Major Sumner. encouraging South Australians to participate with the Dusty Feet Mob and experience truth telling with First Nations peoples.
Attendees will also be treated to songs from the heart by Singer Glenn Skuthorpe, truth telling by Rosemary Wanganeen, and traditional dance from Port Augusta’s Dusty Feet Mob.
“We’ve been working together with members of First Nations communities to ensure a day of meaning is created for all,” Ms Chorley says. “More than ever before, ADCSA encourages every Australian to acknowledge Australia Day in a way that is meaningful to them.”
This particular event is sold out, but the event will be streamed on Youtube for those who are unable to attend in person.
For the full program of event, see below.
Australia Day 2021 FREE event program – Adelaide:
- Adelaide Central Market – Thursday 21 January, Friday 22 January, Saturday 23 January:
- 11am until 2pm at the Market Kitchen. Multicultural cooking demonstrations in conversation with Rosa Mato and Kevin Kropineri, kids activities and interactive art by local artist Cynthia Schwertsik.
- Rundle Mall – Saturday 23 January, Sunday 24 January, Monday 25 January, Tuesday 26 January:
- 11am until 2pm at the Gawler Place canopy. Rundle Mall will come alive this Australia Day with a euphony of sounds and sights that tell the story of us. Join us in Gawler Place as we reflect, respect and celebrate through a free daily program of live music, storytelling and participatory art.
- Tuesday 26 January:
- As the sun rises on 26 January , connect with the world’s oldest living culture at
the 2021 January 26 Smoking Ceremony at Botanic Park/Tainmuntilla, 8am until 9am with Kaurna Elders.
Bookings essential at australiadaysa.com.au
- Aus Day in the Arena at the Adelaide Entertainment Centre. Two shows at 12.30pm and 6.30pm featuring headline act Birds of Tokyo, a Welcome to Country ceremony, civic ceremonies, parade honouring our multicultural communities and frontline workers, Australian Girls Choir and Tutti and Nexus Orchestra conducted by Julian Feraretto.
Bookings essential. Tickets at australiadaysa.com.au.